-Through a safe, nurturing learning environment all pupils to achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning in French
- Ensure pupils achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- For pupils to be confident to ask questions, take risks and extend their language knowledge. This is enabled by positive relationships and nurture
- Equip pupils with skills for spoken and written French and know how important other languages can be in their future
- Ensure pupils understand and appreciate how exploring another language will help to lay the foundations for further language learning in the future
- Create a MFL curriculum designed to develop not only our children’s language skills, but also their love of learning a language
- Support pupils to use their language skills in everyday life, both now and in the future
- Ensure all pupils in KS2 achieve at least age related expectations for MFL
- Excellent teacher subject knowledge and high order questioning
This progression has been designed to cover the core knowledge and key skills that children should have by the end of Key Stage 2. It is compatible with the NYCC SOL. The NYCC SOL is an excellent vehicle for delivering French language learning and provides detailed support for non-experts. It also has a vast amount of content.
This progression helps to ensure that we are delivering the essential knowledge and skills for each year group in order to achieve the end of KS2 outcomes.
- In EYFS and KS1 pupils listen to and appreciate songs from other languages and are introduced to basic greetings and vocabulary
- Our creative and innovative sequential approach, which progressively develops language skills through weekly taught lessons using the NYCC Scheme of Learning. This allows the children to acquire new words and phrases, then use and apply these in a range of different scenarios
- A range of spoken and written focus tasks are used.
- Provide support to encourage pupils develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing and games.
- Pupils are supported through the use of word banks, scaffold prompts, writing frames to access learning in MFL.
- Children will record their work through pictures, captions and sentences.
- Class French books are used that are high quality and evidence the highest expectations of work.
- Languages other than French may be looked at through our learning mission approach
- Knowledge, skills and vocabulary is sequenced and progresses across the school.
- Children are equipped with the skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the following year
- Pupils are prepared for their future life as an adult in the wider world.
- Children have a love of languages and learning about other cultures