Our intent for our Art approach is to allow children to express themselves as individuals and in a creative way.
Our intent is for children to:
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge.
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Become proficient in drawing painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers
In EYFS, we implement our Art curriculum through:
- providing a wide range of media and materials in our environment. Children make choices and experiment with different processes such as colour mixing, collage and manipulating malleable materials.
- exploring a range of artists work, encouraging children to express their opinion on these.
In Ks1 and Ks2 we implement our Art curriculum through:
- exploring a wide range of artist's work, encouraging children to voice their opinions and explain their reasons why they do/do not like a piece of art.
- our curriculum sequence of Launch, re-Launch and Landing during 'art week'
- an art exhibition showcasing children’s work to the local community
- trips and experiences focusing on art, artists and exhibitions
- focus groups within Learning Mission time to model and scaffold art skills. Nurture and relationships allow adults to support children to experiment and challenge themselves
- learning Mission journeys that reflect what is being taught.
- learning mission books that are high quality, show a range of art and evidence the highest expectations.
- the use of sketch books to practise and develop art skills over time.
- a creative and innovative approach using a range of high quality resources and medium.
The National Curriculum provides a structure and skill development for the Art curriculum being taught. This is linked to our Learning Missions to provide a creative approach, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The impact of our Art approach is children love expressing themselves through a range of medium and are proud of their creations. Children’s skills are transferable across the curriculum.